Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Return to Mary's

Greetings!

This past week has been a whirlwind! Last Tuesday, April 7th my brother-in-law passed away. He had been suffering and fighting cancer for nearly 7 years. The week before, hospice care was ordered and it was said that he would live another 3 or 4 weeks. Instead, the cancer took him in less than a week.

I found myself on a plane to Washington, DC early Wednesday. I left the resort in the hands of Phillip (who has been here since we opened) and my partner, Deven. I remained in constant contact with cell phone and emails.

Of course when I left, there were several issues going on. First, one of my very expensive Mitsubishi air conditioning units was out of service. A week earlier, the condenser suddenly stopped condensing. And of course, a new one had to be ordered. This process took a lot of phone calls and follow-up. On Friday, it was repaired! Oh, and the cost wasn't cheap! The part was under warranty, but the labor was not.

Later that night, another (identical) AC unit decided not to produce cool air! Phillip called me that news, making me wonder what I did to cause this bad AC Karma. Luckily, we were able to move a guest until it was repaired today. This time, it was a cracked freon line. Cross your fingers that no more AC's stop working. $600 in repairs is enough for a while.

It's after midnight and Mary and I are here in the office, waiting on a late guest arrival. They were supposed to be here by 10pm. Due to storms somewhere up North, they had to switch to another flight and they are now arriving at Miami International.

They plan to use taxi's while staying at Mary's Resort. I strongly suggested they rent a car. Everything is close, but you still need a car. The taxi from Fort Lauderdale Airport is about $18 and it's $60 or $80 from Miami. With all of the things to do and see here, a rental car is your best bet.

It's time to check emails and process payroll. I'm also working on some Spring to Summer specials. Please check back here and on the website for details.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment